Thursday, February 9, 2012

Waving

The information I focused on for my inquiry project could have numerous applications. I narrowed my topic of baby sign language to two main ideas--benefits and teaching techniques.  Carol Kuhlthau (1997) writes that, "Enough relates to seeking meaning in a quantity of information by formulating a perspective on which to build and determining what one needs to know. Within the ISP, the question of enough is addressed by what is enough to make sense of oneself."  Baby sign language has a myriad of information focuses.  By chooses to investigate the benefits and teaching techniques I made the choice of what was "enough" for myself and my project at this time.  My inquiry allowed me to briefly touch on other aspects that I will explore at a later date. 


The benefits of signing with infants and children offer solid reasons to share what I have learned.  There are several ways in which I could use this new knowledge.


Professionally: (Public or school library)

  1. story hours
  2. parent educational/enrichment program
  3. student inquiry projects
  4. teacher/student classroom application and interactions
  5. foundation for further study into student learning/teaching methods, literacy skills and language acquisition
Personally:
  1. signing with my children, perhaps leading to a further study of ASL
  2. supporting family and friends that use baby sign language or have special needs children
  3. continuing my personal inquiry and knowledge to enhance my learning and teaching abilities
  4. using sign language as a literacy tool as I home school my children 
  5. developing skills that could lead to other career opportunities--instructor, interpreter 
In order to include my home video as part of my final product I had to use YouTube to convert and publish it to the web. I wasn't planning on sharing it with the world but now it is out there for others to view. I also shared it with family and friends as a post on my Facebook page. The slide presentation I can see potentially using as part of a library program. It could also lead to a conference presentation if I continued my inquiry into the literacy benefits of baby sign language. Right now I will share this inquiry with my classmates and family; however, I will not limit the possibilities it holds for other applications or "waving" opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment